History

A brief history of St John the Baptist, Kingston Vale

 Extracts from the ‘History of St John the Baptist’, 1948 edition by Thomas Henry Bankier and a ‘Short History of the Church of St John the Baptist’, Kingston Vale, By Audrey Tank

In case you are wondering why St John’s church is on Robin Hood lane, although the Nottingham highway man did not travel this far south.  Kingston vale and surrounding areas struggled during its early years with some rather bizarre issues. One of the most well-known issues was highwaymen – robbers who plagued Portsmouth Road. Many wealthy people would pass through here, and highwaymen would intercept, stealing from them while they were in their coaches. One of the most notorious was Louis Jeremiah Abershaw. Of course, there were other notorious highwaymen: Richard (Galloping Dick) Ryder, Jonathon Wild, William Brown and Joseph Whitlock (both hanged in Tyburn in 1773) – but what made Abershaw in particular stand out was his tactics. Abershaw had hiding places, one of them said to be in Coombe wood, which likely used to be mostly forest. Other hiding places were at the Plough Inn in Malden and the original Three Compasses at Eden street in Kingston – all a little too close for comfort. Thankfully, Louis Jeremiah Abershaw was convicted in either in Croydon or Kensington Assizes – it is difficult to know where exactly – and was hanged. Jeremiah was known locally and was infamous, but highwaymen were soon defeated by more advanced coaches and cautionary action.

Another fun fact about the local area is its significance in various early Battles. For a century until 1782, British fleets had been fighting battles without defeating the enemy – a meeting was held local to here to change that. This happened in White Lodge, Richmond Park. on October 21st, the Trafalgar tactics were discussed and were used to win the Battle. The whole country was told, and mail-coaches brought the news – ‘The navy’s won! Our enemies are beaten!’. The reaction was a mix of celebration and mourning and was ultimately a moment to be recorded.

A massive part of the church is the work and volunteering done for the local area and community. This is why the history of the local area is important – it informs the culture and infrastructure of the current communities who attend or are affected by the church. Furthermore, there are many traces of Britain’s early history lying everywhere. For example, the endless references to Robin hood. Why? We don’t quite know, but we can unpick it; it involves Henry VIII’s interest in Robin hood inspired games called ‘May games’, the work of the Robin hood inn, and lots of legends. But that is a story for another day. To get to the point, traces of history are everywhere, and it is so easy to miss small details which actually have wonderful stories behind them. The church has close ties with the local area, and the establishment of the parish links with the development and struggles that the community around here have been through over many centuries.

During Victoria’s reign a massive Christian revival took place, with more than half the existing churches in England dating from this period. This religious fervour led to the building in 1839 of the first place of worship in Kingston Vale. It was described as “a chapel of Ease for the Inhabitants, chiefly of the poorer classes of the Robinhood district in the Parish of Ham”.

Under the terms of an 1831 act passed by Parliament allowing the Bishop Charles Richard Sumner to make Kingston Vale a parish (and so also a village), which allowed St Johns to start life in 1839.

The village of Kingston Vale, (known as Kingston Bottom until renamed by prudish Victorians) basked in royal patronage for much of the 19th century after the first Duke of Cambridge who bought the Coombe Estate in 1837.

In 1839, The Vicar of Ham, James Hough, determined to make better spiritual provision for this part of his parish, secured the building of a small church on a site given by the parish of Kingston.  It was built on the site that is now the gardens of nos.236-269 Kingston Vale, opposite what was the blacksmiths forge

14 January 1847 Bishop Sumner consecrated the Chapel as Kingston Vale Parish Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Vicar who would be appointed by the Bishop, would be paid by renting the pews, the pews in the centre of the church were to be more expensive than those in the side aisles.  Any pews which remained unoccupied ten minutes before the beginning of a service were at the disposal of the sidemen for seating visitors.

In 1850. The second Duke of Cambridge, who was Queen Victoria’s first cousin owned the majority of the land, and although not a residing in the parish, he was a generous landowner. He assisted in establishing a church school in the village, its first ‘dame school’ was on the site of Robin Hood Cottages in a house of three rooms, kitchen and wash-house.  The children were taught in the kitchen, and the wooden forms were stored in the wash house on Sundays.  When this house was blown down in a gale, the school was conducted in part of the church temporarily screened off.  In 1856 a purpose-built school and teachers’ residence was erected in Robin Hood Lane, which is recorded as the Old School House, now a private residence.

In 1856 following the building of more cottages and houses in the village, it was decided to replace the original church with a larger church.  Designed by Victorian architect Ewan Christian, a medieval plan which divided the building into the nave for the congregation and the chancel containing the altar and seats arranged sideways for the clergy and choir. A simple intimate building and a pleasant example of a small Victorian village church.

In 1861 On July 22, a new church, on the present site was built at a cost of £1917 and consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester.  The land was given by HRH The Duke of Cambridge.  It was not as large as the present church. 

In 1868 it was decided that it needed to be enlarged, the enlargement consisted of an organ chamber and north aisle, which seated a further 100 people.

Queen Mary’s mother (Princess Mary Adelaide) who had moved into White Lodge started attending services every Sunday, in 1874 she laid the corner stone of the new north aisle in a blinding snowstorm.

She took part in assisting the villagers, while her brother the Duke of Cambridge appeared at the Institute handing out greatcoats and heavy boots to the men, Princess Mary Adelaide with the help of Princess May went there to give blankets and bales of warm flannel to the women to make clothes for their families.

The social work continued and further organizations were established, the Start Club a mutual benefit club, Provident Club, Children’s penny bank.

The Duchess of Teck’s efforts for the parish continued and in 1891 when she established a Children’s Library at the school house.

20th January 1892 a memorial service was held following the death of the Duke of Clarence who had been engaged to Princess May, the following Sunday the family from White Lodge came for a special service in the afternoon.

Sunday 7th May 1893, the Duke of York and Princess May (later George V and Queen Mary) after the announcement of their engagement attended the church together with the Duke and Duchess of Teck and the Price of Wales (later King Edward V11) Their wedding on 6th July was commemorated by a village fete with tea and sports.

Her eldest son (later the Duke of Windsor) was born at White Lodge, the next day Kingston Vale Church celebrated both St. John the Baptists’ day and this event.

The Reredos was given in memory of the Duchess of Teck, who died in October 1897, she had been in church the previous Sunday.

Carved choir stalls were given as a permanent memorial of Queen Victori’s Diamond Jubilee.

The prayer desk and pulpit were given in memory of Mrs Graham of Highwood House.

The church with its oak leaves and oak apples on the pillars, is a typical English parish church.  The patron saints of the British Isles, Saint Patrick with his harp, Saint George with three lions, Saint Andrew and his lion, and Saint David with four lions, symbolize the unit of the Kingdom.

While the church is a memorial to the confidence and patriotism of Victorian England, the alabaster and brass tablets record the price paid for those ideals.

History of St John the Baptist
History of St John the Baptist<br />

The church was picturesquely set among green fields, especially a large field, magnificent at harvest time, to its west, which made a fine slope up to the woods of Kenry House. It attracted worshippers from well outside the parish. They came from Wimbledon Common or from Sheen and Richmond Hill or from Norbiton and the far Kingston Gate of the park. There was no omnibus service passing Robin Hood until late in 1912, but the walk itself was pleasant.

A number of houses were built on the manorial farm, Coombe Hill Farm, between about 1864 and 1883 mainly in Coombe warren, near the present George and Warren Roads.  Robin Hood Farm a long narrow strip of land, largely alluvial, beside Beverley Brook and mainly pasture for cattle.  The farmhouse stood in the area now bounded by Bowness Crescent, Keswick Avenue, part of Robin Hood Lane and Robin Hood way. From about 1913 part was still occupied by the farmer, the rest had been enlarged and made into a private residence.

Towards the end of the 19th century a row of 15 cottages was built on what had been Beverley brook and the park gates. These were named Florence Terrace after Florence Nightingale whose paternal Aunt Mai (Mrs Sam Smithy) lived at Coombe Hurst on Kingston Hill which is now part of a section of Kingston University.

These cottages were built with toilets at the back by the park wall, each toilet being shared by 3 cottages. A Little later Ebor cottages were built adjoining Florence terrace, but before these could be built a pond on the waste land had to be drained.  These cottages were apparently to house 2 families each 2 kitchen stoves were provided one upstairs and one downstairs.  There were 3 rooms upstairs and 2 down, a shared scullery downstairs with an iron sink and a copper for boiling clothes.

By 1953, the parish was now larger than ever before, both in size and population. In 1953 both sides of Roehampton Vale beyond Beverley Brook and as far as Stag Lane were made part of the parish; more new houses were built at the southern end of the Village; population was estimated at about 3,500, today approx. 4,500.

Church history – it’s not just about religion and establishment of the building. It is a whole array of facts and events, from local history to areas associated with the Church, to the parishes’ adaptation through many years. Throughout history, St John the Baptist Church has worked hard to build itself up and survive, while still providing for the community during trying times. From highwaymen to Royals, from early years to war – a vast, enthralling story has been created, a glimpse of our history!

……offering the community, friendship, peace and tranquillity. All are welcome within the walls of a much loved church (if only the walls could speak)  and outside in the Jubilee Garden created from the original orchard by hard working volunteers.

Click here to see the 1935 St. John’s Wedding clip from British Pathe.